Parent Perspectives on Remote Learning
with Blind/Deafblind Students:
A Webinar Hosted by the National Homework Hotline-BVI
August 25, 2020, 7:00pm – 8:15pm EST
As preK-12 schools continue to grapple with unprecedented challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the unique educational needs of blind/deafblind and visually impaired students demand full and equal consideration.
As we think about and prepare for the unique challenges and opportunities that we will face with remote learning in the upcoming school year, it is important to learn from parents.
Teachers, parents, and other support providers are invited to join this panel discussion featuring four parents who will discuss their diverse insights on remote learning.
- Arleen & Ric Flores- Arleen and Ric (California) are parents to 1st grade deafblind twins
- Allison Hilliker- Allison (Phoenix area) is a blind mother to two low vision preschoolers
- Amnata Saffa- Amnata (New Jersey) is the mother of a blind kindergartner and a sighted 9th grader
- Michelle Spano- Michelle (New Jersey) is the mother of a low vision 6th grader and a blind 8th grader
Moderator: Megan Deusch
Megan lives in NY and mentors blind/vi students in Learning Ally’s College Success Program. Megan is an Access Technology instructor and a volunteer responder with the National Homework Hotline for Blind/VI Students.
RSVP via Eventbrite: https://bit.ly/2XBTcNx
Upon registration, you will receive webinar access information. For assistance with registration, email email@example.com.
About the National Homework Hotline for Blind/Visually Impaired Students
Areas of support include:
- JAWS, NVDA
- Voice Over for macOS and iOS devices
- Nemeth and literary braille
- Cranmer abacus
- Refreshable braille displays
- Core subject tutoring (Math, ELA, Science, Social Studies)
- Braille reading
To request help, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 732-835-6672. Provide the following information:
- student’s first name and grade in school
- specific description of request
- telephone number and time for hotline responder to call